Asylum Models and Effects are seeking an Electronic Engineer on a full time permanent basis to start ASAP. The job covers an exceptionally wide range of disciplines mainly centering on electronics alongside other associated fields within the industry. The company focuses on special effects and model making for commercials and films, more recently moving into the fields of high end visual merchandising and art installations.
A list of previous work and the kind of projects you could be involved with can be found here.
The company is based in Earlsfield in south west London with an extensive workshop allowing the majority of work to be done in house.
There will be some overtime/overnight work involved with an excellent overtime compensation scheme in place. There will also be the chance of some international travel with the role.
As this is a diverse role we welcome applicants from all backgrounds but ideally with experience with a number of the following and a basic understanding of the majority:
- Embedded C: Specifically AVR Microcontroller/Arduino
- Embedded Linux (RPi/Beaglebone/OpenWrt/Linux Command Line)
- Large scale LED installation – 12V/Addressable LED tape/High Power LED/DMX
- Industrial PLC/HMI (Unitronics)
- Networking (Ethernet/RS485)
- Communication Protocols (RS232, UART, SPI, I2C,DMX,Art-Net)
- Motor Control / Stepper / Servo
- Soldering – TH and SMT
- PCB Schematic capture / layout
- Panel Wiring
- Reverse engineering/ modification of existing products
- Electrical test and repair or SFX equipment (fans/smoke machines/lighting etc)
- .Net programming / Java/ C / C++ / Python
- Mechanical Manufacturing/Metalworking/Woodworking
- CNC/Laser Cutter/3d Printer
To apply please send a CV, Covering letter and any other relevant materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
No Agencies Please
About Asylum SFX:
Everything can be made, few things can be made well.
The company was founded in 1983 and originally housed in the Royal Victoria Patriotic Asylum building in Trinity Road, Wandsworth, hence the name. Since then, we have provided high-end model making and special effects for film, TV, installations, prototyping and visual merchandising to clients from all around the world.
We operate with a full time crew of 24, which is supported by a trusted pool of freelance specialists when required. This multidisciplinary team covers all the bases working in the 18,000 square foot facility, that was renovated and designed to suit our requirements.
Generous space provides zones for the digital department, soft technology, engineering, general fabricating workshop, wood mill, mould and sculpture studio, CNC department and an outside space for testing pyrotechnics and large scale liquid projects. For our clients we offer conference and meeting rooms, kitchen facilities and off road parking.
Asylum’s ethos is to supply works of the highest quality, striving with an integrity and a desire for perfection. If you share our passion and compulsion for the best, we’d love to work with you.